I was a little taken aback by my absence from the Asian Games and intended to make a comeback on the national stage: Dhawan Shikhar

The 37-year-old left-hander was expected to captain India's backup team in China, a position he held till just 10 months ago, but the selectors chose Ruturaj Gaikwad instead.


Shikhar Dhawan, a veteran Indian hitter, was "a little bit shocked" to learn he wasn't selected for the Asian Games team, but he's still keen to play for his country again soon.


The BCCI chose a roster full of rookies for the Hangzhou Asian Games in September-October because the first-choice players were too busy preparing for the ODI World Cup at home.


The 37-year-old left-hander was expected to captain India's backup team in China, a position he held till just 10 months ago, but the selectors chose Ruturaj Gaikwad instead.


"I was a little taken aback when my name wasn't listed for the Asian Games. But then I said, "You just have to accept it; they have a different thought process." I'm glad Rutu (Gaikwad) will be the side's leader. All the young boys are present, and I have no doubt that they will succeed, Dhawan said on Thursday to PTI.


It appears the Indian squad has gone past Dhawan, who had turned into a one-format star before being sacked from the ODI side during the Bangladesh tour in December 2022, with Shubman Gill joining Rohit Sharma at the top.



Dhawan, one of India's top ODI batsmen over the past ten years, said he cannot predict what lies ahead but that he will be ready if an opportunity presents itself.


"Of course, I'll be prepared for the comeback. That is why I keep myself in shape (so that I am prepared whenever I get the chance). Whether it is one percent or twenty percent, there is always a chance.


"I still enjoy playing the game and working out; these are the things I can control. I appreciate whatever choice is made, said the southpaw cricketer who is still centrally contracted and spends a lot of time at the National Cricket Academy.


If the Indian team doesn't make a comeback, Dhawan has an IPL trophy for Punjab Kings to win. Prior to the IPL, he also indicated a desire to participate in the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy and the 50-over Vijay Hazare Trophy.


"I have not discussed my future with any selectors. I continue to visit NCA. The amenities are excellent, and I have a good time there. My career has been formed by NCA, and I am thankful for that.


"I also need to get ready for the IPL. In addition to the Vijay Hazare, I'll be playing in the Syed Mushtaq Ali, he added, referring to two domestic championships.


Flow is difficult to maintain as a one-format player.


Before being removed from the team, Dhawan was just participating in ODI matches. He claimed that playing at your absolute best in a single format can have a negative effect on the game.



"You have to return after taking breaks constantly. However, if you anticipate difficulty, expect difficulty. I have never had that thought. The flow of the game is a little bit more and it counts a lot when the other players are active in various formats. If they succeed, it also catches your notice (draws attention). Dhawan has many things to be thankful for, including his collection of more over 10,000 international runs. Although it is exceedingly doubtful that he will play in his third straight ODI World Cup, he is ready to accept whatever opportunity may present itself.



"My mood is quite joyful right now. Playing at the World Cup is a wonderful experience. I consider myself really fortunate to have such a fantastic career and to help the Indian team.


"At this point, you proceed annually. I am in excellent physical shape, and I am competing for Punjab Kings in the IPL. Dhawan, who has three World Cup hundreds to his name, expressed hope that they will be accomplished the following year.


Dhawan has a lot more time on his hands because he is no longer a member of the Indian team. He spends a lot of time on his several business endeavors, which are included in the Da One Group umbrella, in addition to working on his game and fitness.




Being productive is crucial. Particularly when you play all formats, as I formerly did, our lives are quite fast-paced. Now that I have ample time, I continue to pursue my commercial interests.


"I work out regularly and avoid spending time at home to prevent it from entering my thoughts. I feel quite positive when I work on my physical fitness and appearance.


Surya would be my choice for position four.


Prior to the World Cup, the number four spot in the Indian ODI lineup is up for grabs because Shreyas Iyer's fitness is in doubt. The front-runners are Suryakumar Yadav and Sanju Samson, but R Ashwin believes that rookie batter Tilak Varma might make a strong case for the job.


"Surya is an experienced player who has been participating in international cricket for a while, therefore I would choose him to bat at number four.


I'm also eager to see how Shubman Gill performs at the World Cup. Rohit Sharma, who performed remarkably well in the previous World Cup and scored five hundreds in the 2019 edition, is another hitter to keep an eye on.



He continued, "We have a really solid side that has the proper combination of experience and youth. This bodes well for India's chances in the World Cup. We will benefit from playing at home. We are familiar with the fields and pitches, which would be really helpful.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Match Prediction for Today's Match: Southern Brave vs. Birmingham Phoenix (HMC2023)

Fitness Professionals' picks for the top seven chest exercises

Why the PM chose to deliver his Independence Day speech in the Red Fort